From the outside, Joanna Penn is a successful author of both fiction and non-fiction. And she’s an entrepreneur in that she controls her “products” by self-publishing.
But as with her last interview on the show, there’s a lot more going on under the hood. Take an inside look with this episode — because there is lots of great information for you to consider for your own business.
Joanna and Brian discuss how she has built a successful business that fits her lifestyle, the surprising impact that affiliate marketing has had on her bottom line, and how the rise of audiobooks, podcasting, and voice tech is changing the online landscape for writers.
How full of knowledge and insight is this episode? Just know that toward the end of it, Brian is compelled to say the following: “Okay people, if you stopped listening at the halfway point, you screwed up and you don’t even know it.”
So make sure you listen all the way through.
This week’s rundown:
- The rise of audio — both audiobooks and podcasts — and how it is changing the future of both consumption and publishing. (They return to this at the end too.)
- How Joanna stays “sanely ambitious” with a successful 6-figure business that remains completely on her terms … and why she is not striving to hit seven figures.
- Why it’s important to regularly review your business and double down on what you love.
- Why Joanna and Brian struggle with Seth Godin’s definitions of freelancer and entrepreneur.
- Joanna goes into detail about her business model and the many ways she makes money.
- The specific strategies Joanna has used to leverage affiliate sales into half of her total revenue.
- The many different tools and services Joanna uses to manage her independent publishing empire.
- Joanna explains a few remarkable examples of what’s next in audio and voice — including A.I. voice synth and licensing a voice brand.
- Why even a writer like Joanna is thinking and planning for #voicefirst moving forward.
- Joanna’s first appearance on Unemployable: Inside the Lucrative World of Self-Published Ebooks
- Joanna’s website: thecreativepenn.com
- Audiobook Usage Is Up (Forbes)
- Yuval Noah Harari
- The freelancer and the entrepreneur (Seth Godin)
- Follow Brian Clark on Twitter
Subscribe to Unemployable
Or search for “unemployable” wherever you listen to podcasts.
Why the Future of the Writing Business is … Audio?
Coming soon …